Former Senator Anthony Galluccio Granted Parole

By Xi Yu, Crimson Staff Writer

Former Massachusetts State Senator Anthony D. Galluccio, who was sentenced to a year in jail in January for violating his probation in a hit-and-run accident, was granted parole and will now be released on July 14.

Galluccio, who pleaded guilty in December to leaving the scene of an October accident in Cambridge that caused minor injuries to two individuals, was ordered to abstain from alcohol and to submit to alcohol testing as part of his probation.

But after just three days of probation, he failed his first breathalyzer test and blamed it on his toothpaste. Galluccio said that he had brushed his teeth with Colgate Total Whitening and Sensodyne—which contain sorbitol, a sugar alcohol—before taking the test.

Galluccio—who served 14 years on the Cambridge City Council before moving to the State Senate—resigned from his Senate seat after he was given a year-long jail sentence on Jan. 4. He had represented Cambridge and some neighboring towns in the Massachusetts State Senate since 2007.

The former Senator has been convicted of driving under the influence twice before, but refused to state whether he had been drinking before the October accident, according to The Boston Globe.

Galluccio has participated in Alcoholics Anonymous classes and expresses remorse, the Associated Press reported.

—Staff writer Xi Yu can be reached at xyu@college.harvard.edu.

CrimeFederal State RelationsCambridge