Police: Man Stabbed Multiple Times near Intersection of Memorial Drive and JFK St.

By Antonio Coppola and John P. Finnegan, Crimson Staff Writers

UPDATED: September 9, 2013, at 6:56 p.m.

A man was stabbed near the intersection of Memorial Drive and John F. Kennedy Street at about 9 p.m. Sunday night, police said shortly after the crime occurred.

In an email to The Crimson, Cambridge Police Department spokesperson Daniel M. Riviello also confirmed that the crime had occurred.

Early media reports said that the crime had taken place in John F. Kennedy Park, but a statement released by state police Monday morning said that it had occurred on Memorial Drive.

State police found the victim “conscious and alert,” after which the victim was transported to Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital, according to WCVB.com.

The Boston Globe reported late Sunday night that the victum was stabbed multiple times.

It was not possible to confirm whether the victim or the aggressor have any University affiliation.

Riviello wrote in an emailed statement that while the CPD initially responded to a report of stabbing, the investigation was later determined to be the responsibility of the state police, since the crime occurred on state property.

Five state police vehicles were present at the crime scene at 10 p.m. Sunday night. The corner of the intersection across from the University’s Weld Boathouse was cordoned off and attended by a state police officer.

Several passersby gathered around the cordoned-off area inquiring about the night’s happening, but the state police officer in attendance declined to comment.

Reports of assault in the Cambridge area are not unknown. Last year, 28 cases of aggravated assault were reported in the area surrounding Harvard’s Cambridge campus, according to statistics disclosed in the Harvard University Police Department’s annual crime report. That number represents a drop from the 36 aggravated assaults reported in 2011.

—Staff writer Antonio Coppola can be reached at antonio.coppola@thecrimson.com. Follow him on Twitter @AntonioCoppolaC.

—Staff writer John P. Finnegan can be reached at finnegan@thecrimson.com. Follow him on Twitter @finneganspake.

CrimeCambridge Police