Magic of Numbers: Summing Up the Fall

By Timothy J. Walsh, Crimson Staff Writer

Each Thursday, The Crimson will compile a series of unique statistics about Harvard's sports scene. Welcome to the Magic of Numbers—without the problem sets. We'll do the math for you.

READY FOR SOME FOOTBALL

0 – Number of games under the lights at Brown Stadium before the Crimson squares off against the Bears on Saturday night.

4 – Consecutive road wins for Harvard, tied for the second-longest streak in the nation after James Madison (7).

9 – Number of times the Crimson has beaten Brown in its last 10 tries.

24 – Age of Harvard quarterback Andrew Hatch, who went 20 of 25 for 276 yards in his debut last week.

30 – Combined seasons at the helm for Harvard coach Tim Murphy and Bears coach Phil Estes.

21,704 – Fans in attendance at the Crimson’s home opener last Saturday.

READY FOR SOME FUTBOL

71.4 – All-time winning percentage for the Harvard women’s soccer team against Penn, whom the Crimson will face this weekend in its first conference game.

1 – Road wins this season for the Harvard women’s soccer team, which beat New Hampshire but fell to South Florida and Central Florida.

6 – Place on the all-time Crimson goal-scoring list for co-captain and forward Katherine Sheeleigh.

VOLLEYBALL WOES

0 – Number of sets won by the women’s volleyball team in its last 5 matches.

HIGH AND LOW SCORES

856 – Total score for the Harvard men’s golf team at The McLaughlin last weekend at the Bethpage Red Course, a program record for a three-round tournament.

18 – Strokes out of first place in The McLaughlin.

0 – Number of seniors on the golf team.

MARTIN KESSLER DEPARTMENT OF CRITICAL INFORMATION

51 – Days until men’s basketball opens its season at George Mason.

Sports BlogMagic of Numbers