J-Term: No Rest For Harvard's Winter Sports

By Samantha Lin, Crimson Staff Writer

Going to miss Harvard athletics over J-term? Look no further—The Back Page has you covered. While most Harvard students will be headed home for the holidays, many Crimson athletes will be traveling the country. Read on to see when your favorite team will be coming to a town near you!

MEN’S BASKETBALL

The men’s basketball team will be cashing in its frequent flier miles as it flies cross country to California, where Amaker and Co. will be taking on Cal on Dec. 29 and St. Mary’s on New Year’s Eve. Up next on the team’s schedule will be a return home to take on Rice before the short drive up to Hanover to face Ivy foe Dartmouth. The Crimson will round out its J-term trip by going down south to Tennessee to play against Memphis on Jan. 19.

WOMEN’S BASKETBALL

The women will be joining their male counterparts in the Golden State, though they’ll be 500 miles away in the San Diego Surf ‘N Slam tournament before flying back to Cambridge to face UMass. The team will then travel to compete against Rhode Island before taking on Dartmouth, first on its home turf, then on the road.

MEN’S HOCKEY

The men’s hockey team will be looking at the bulk of its away games during J-term as it faces seven teams on unfriendly ice. After taking on Northeastern at home, the team will face Princeton for the first time all season before heading up to take on Quinnipiac. The men will then return to Boston to preview the Beanpot in its matchup against Boston University. Following suit of the basketball teams, the hockey team will then go to Hanover to face Dartmouth before going to New Haven to avenge its loss to Yale. The team will finish off its seven-game road trip in New York to try to even the series with Union.

WOMEN’S HOCKEY

Unlike the men’s team, the women’s squad will be playing the majority of its J-term games in the friendly atmosphere of Bright Hockey Center. After traveling to take on Union and Rensselaer, the women will return home to face a slew of familiar foes. First up are back-to-back games against Princeton and Quinnipiac, two teams that the Crimson has already defeated this season. After playing Connecticut on January 15, the women will take on Union and Rensselaer again, this time at home.

CREW

In a marked departure from the chilly waters of the Charles River, both crew teams will be heading south to the Sunshine State near the end of the break to get in some stroking before the spring season. Traveling to Sarasota, Fla. may not sound like training, but rest assured that these rowers will have their work cut out for them—in the words of one Liz O’Leary, there will be “miles and miles” rowed each day.

Sports Blog