Registrar Lists Canceled Courses on Tumblr

A student makes her way to class Monday, ducking under an archway near Widener Library. In anticipation of a looming and "potentially historic" snowstorm, administrators canceled Tuesday class after students had gotten a taste of classes during the first day of shopping week Monday.
By Melissa C. Rodman, Crimson Staff Writer

The Faculty of Arts and Sciences Registrar’s Office has compiled a Tumblr blog to serve as a running list of classes that are canceled or rescheduled due to the University’s suspension of operations in response to a snowstorm that the National Weather Service has called “potentially historic.”

According to FAS Registrar Michael P. Burke, the website will be updated as professors notify the office whether they will hold their courses on Wednesday. He said that “it’s important that students know that [the website is] a resource.”

A student makes her way to class Monday, ducking under an archway near Widener Library. In anticipation of a looming and "potentially historic" snowstorm, administrators canceled Tuesday class after students had gotten a taste of classes during the first day of shopping week Monday. By Anneli L. Tostar

“We expect that there are going to be some faculty members who can’t make it in,” Burke said. “That’s why we are planning to spread the word as much as we can.”

In light of the decision that the course study card deadline, scheduled for Friday afternoon, would not be postponed despite the interruption to shopping week, Burke reiterated that students concerned about missing Tuesday-only classes should talk with their advisers and deans.

“It’s an unfortunate disruption; obviously there’s not much we can do,” he said. “If the University were to close on Wednesday, we’re obviously going to reevaluate our situation.”

To that end, administrators will hold conference calls and monitor the weather throughout the day Tuesday, according to Burke. All course updates and new information will be posted on the Tumblr page, but he suggested that students also check in with course iSites and Canvas course websites.

—Staff writer Melissa C. Rodman can be reached at melissa.rodman@thecrimson.com. Follow her on Twitter @melissa_rodman.

CollegeFASFAS AdministrationAcademicsFacultyRegistrarSnowFaculty News