Mass. State Rep. Calls on University VP to Increase Transparency for Allston Multimodal Project

Harvard President Lawrence Bacow Made $1.1 Million in 2020, Financial Disclosures Show

Harvard Executive Vice President Katie Lapp To Step Down

81 Republican Lawmakers File Amicus Brief Supporting SFFA in Harvard Affirmative Action Lawsuit

Duke Senior’s Commencement Speech Appears to Plagiarize 2014 Address by Harvard Student

Harvard Affiliates, Boston Residents to Protest Bannon's Visit

By Claire E. Parker, Crimson Staff Writer

Harvard affiliates and residents from across the Boston area are organizing efforts to protest top Donald Trump adviser Stephen K. Bannon’s visit to the Institute of Politics this week.

Bannon’s name appeared on a list of confirmed attendees for the IOP event, called “Campaign for President: The Managers Look at 2016,” to be held at the Kennedy School of Government Wednesday and Thursday. The event will feature election journalists and political strategists from both the Hillary Clinton and Trump campaigns.

Bannon was the CEO of president-elect Trump’s campaign, and Trump appointed Bannon to be his chief strategist once he assumes office in January. Bannon previously headed Breitbart News, a controversial right-wing media outlet.

Boston activists and Harvard students condemned Bannon and began organizing on social media to protest his visit after The Crimson reported Monday that he will attend the IOP event this week.

More than 700 people have indicated on a Facebook page called “Protest Stephen Bannon & Trump Advisors at Harvard” that they plan to attend a protest at the Kennedy School on Wednesday.

“We do not accept hate and bigotry as normal or legitimate. Come preacefully [sic] protest. Then help us organize,” the Faebook event description reads.

Bannon graduated from the Harvard Business School in 1985. His appointment has draw criticism from hundreds of HBS alumni and the Dean of the Radcliffe Institute for Advanced Study.

Meanwhile, Harvard students are circulating an open letter to University President Drew G. Faust asking Faust to condemn Bannon’s appointment to Trump’s administration. According to the letter’s authors, more than 3,300 people have signed the letter.

“We are certain you know that Harvard’s name has been used to justify Mr. Bannon's appointment despite criticism of his hateful words and deeds,” the authors wrote in the letter.

The final event of the this week’s program is a public panel titled “War Stories: Inside Campaign 2016,” and will bring together Trump campaign manager Kellyanne Conway and Clinton campaign manager Robby Mook.

IOPHarvard Kennedy SchoolBostonUniversityUniversity News2016 Election