City Council Moves to Vote on New Marijuana Regulations

By Vedant Bahl, Crimson Staff Writer

UPDATED: January 25, 2017 at 5:18 p.m.

The Cambridge City Council moved forward Monday with a petition that could increase the number of medical marijuana dispensaries in Cambridge.

After lengthy debate among Councillors about the drawbacks and merits of potentially expanding marijuana sales, the Council decided it will vote on the petition—which seeks to demarcate additional areas in which dispensaries can be built—at its next meeting.

In November, Mass. residents voted to legalize recreational marijuana in the state, prompting some Councillors to worry that purchases of the drug would be difficult to control in Cambridge. Some Councillors said they are worried that medical dispensaries could start selling marijuana for recreational purposes in the future, pending state regulations.

Councillor Nadeem A. Mazen said medical marijuana retailers may seek to profit from recreational marijuana sales. Councillor Dennis Carlone said “we have no idea what recreational marijuana will bring in,” adding that approving the petition could create neighborhoods with high concentrations of the drug.

Three medical marijuana dispensaries are in the process of gaining permits in Cambridge. One dispensary seeking a permit is currently under construction.

Cambridge’s city government has debated expanding territory for medical marijuana dispensaries in the past. Previously, the city’s Planning Board has recommended against expanding dispensary zones.

Criticizing the Planning Board’s recommendation, Vice Mayor Marc C. McGovern said Monday that adding zones for medical marijuana dispensaries could significantly benefit who need the drug. In December, Mass. Governor Charlie D. Baker ’79 announced $98 million in budget cuts to statewide health services, which McGovern said could hurt these patients.

“The Planning Board may not feel one, but there is an urgent need for patients suffering from illnesses. And this is even more urgent given the cuts being made by Governor Baker to medical services across the board that help people,” he said.

The Council also heard testimony about developments in Harvard Square. Discussing an ongoing effort by the Cambridge City Historic Commission to halt plans to replace the Curious George store, Councillor Craig Kelley said the Historical Commission’s effort to retain the Square’s historical integrity is futile.

“There is a limit to what we can do to halt the changes taking places in Harvard Square as we speak. What we can do as a council is change some requirements or put caps on licensing but at the end of the day we can’t say there’s got to be a Curious George store here.”

Also at the meeting, the Council approved a resolution to publicly endorse a campaign called “Take on Hate,” that supports protection of Cambridge individuals and families “no matter their religion or ethnicity.”

—Staff writer Vedant Bahl can be reached at vedant.bahl@thecrimson.com.

This article has been revised to reflect the following correction:

CORRECTION: January 25, 2017

A previous version of this article incorrectly indicated that the Cambridge City Council delayed a vote on a petition that could increase Cambridge's number of medical marijuana dispensaries. In fact, the Council conducted a first reading of the petition and moved a final vote for its next meeting.

City PoliticsPoliticsCambridge City CouncilCambridge