Best Date Spots in Harvard Square

This Valentine’s Day week, try going out in Harvard Square.
This Valentine’s Day week, try going out in Harvard Square. By Courtesy of Henry Dixon
By Ann Nguyen, Contributing Writer

The Valentine’s Day spirit is in the air, and that means a chance to celebrate all things love! Whether you plan to celebrate with your significant other, best friends, or Datamatch date, treat them to one of the best date spots in Harvard Square. Instead of 4:00 a.m. El Jefe’s meals and date nights in your twin XL bed, check out the list below for some extra special Valentine’s Day spots in or around Harvard Square!

1. Best Budget-Friendly Date: Takeout on the Widener Steps

To the untrained eye, the Widener steps may not seem like a prime date stop. However, Harvardians know that grabbing a meal and people watching on the steps is the perfect combination — basically dinner and a show! Plus, the chilly winter air is the perfect excuse to cuddle up to your date.

2. Best Dinner Date: Alden and Harlow

Alden and Harlow is indulgent, romantic, and serves delectable New American cuisine. Get to know your date over amazing grilled rosemary focaccia and addictive fried brussel sprouts! The classic Harvard Square establishment is also attached to the Longfellow Bar, a one-stop shop for drinks and a bite.
Pro-tip: The Longfellow Bar has great cocktails and mocktails for a late night drink.

3. Best Late-Night Date: The Weld Solarium and the Harvard College Observatory

What’s more romantic than an evening under the stars? Bring your date to the Weld Solarium (or the Harvard College Observatory, with access passes) and spend the night in deep conversation while gazing at the cosmos. The Observatory is also home to a collection of some 500,000 historical astronomical plates that delve into the history of HCO!

4. Best Coffee Date: L.A. Burdick

It may be the most expensive cup of coffee you’ll ever purchase in Harvard Square, but L.A. Burdick makes the most undeniably creamy, decadent hot drinks inside a beautiful gourmet coffee shop. Indulge in a delicious mocha, or pick up some spicy drinking chocolate for an at-home treat. For those who prefer non-caffeinated beverages, L.A. Burdick’s famous hot chocolate is a must-try.

5. Best Study Date: The Cabot Library Couches

Did your date night get ruined by a surprise PSET? Is your essay overdue? No need to worry — study dates are here to save the day! Invite your classroom crush to the Cabot Library couches to study, and get to know each other over Clover coffees.

6. Best Galentine’s Date: Henrietta’s Table

Valentine’s Day is the perfect opportunity to celebrate the love between friends and family. Show your appreciation for loved ones by treating them to brunch at Henrietta’s Table. Their menu highlights delicious farm-to-table meals, which rotate daily based on the availability of local farmers and artisans. Make sure to check out Henrietta’s pie of the day for a locally-inspired sweet treat!

These six romantic date spots will ensure the perfect night, regardless of the occasion. This Valentine’s Day, try going out in Harvard Square — you’ll make your date happy and support a local business, too.

ArtsCulture