‘Sweetest Pie’ Review: Megan Thee Stallion and Dua Lipa Collaboration Falters

3 stars

Single cover for Dua Lipa and Megan Thee Stallion's "Sweetest Pie."
Single cover for Dua Lipa and Megan Thee Stallion's "Sweetest Pie." By Courtesy of Megan Thee Stallion and Dua Lipa / 1501 Certified / 300
By Brady M. Connolly, Crimson Staff Writer

When Megan Thee Stallion and Dua Lipa — two of the world’s most popular artists right now — team up for a song, it seems fair to conclude that it’ll be a guaranteed hit. Unfortunately, their flirtatious new single “Sweetest Pie,” which was released on streaming services March 11, proves this assumption wrong. The pop anthem has its moments that are sure to please, but it ultimately suffers from generic, forgettable melodies.

The song begins by jumping into Dua Lipa’s chorus, which also happens to be the song’s strongest point. The upbeat tone, electric bass, and occasional chimes keep this chorus buoyant and airy Dua Lipa also adds some satisfying vocal flourishes to the tune, stretching out a few words while hitting high notes.

Megan Thee Stallion follows this chorus with a rap verse whose passionate delivery cannot save it from sounding much like many of her other works. Listeners who are familiar with some of Stallion’s other songs, such as “Thot Shit,” “WAP,” or “Butter (Remix),” will find her performance in this song largely underwhelming. The uninspired flow and predictable lyrics, such as “I got cake and I know he want a slice,” cause the song to feel hastily thrown together and underbaked.

While this single may be sonically generic, its accompanying music video is a rather remarkable spectacle. Dua Lipa and Megan Thee Stallion dance through an Eden-esque garden in amazingly ornate outfits, full of vivid confections. As the video progresses, the scenery turns hellish as Meg and Dua team up to battle nagging suitors in a campy and enjoyable montage.

With its biggest flaw being its generic nature, “Sweetest Pie” still has the potential to be a fun, albeit short-term, addition to any top hits playlist. The beat is peppy, the lyrics are easy to sing along to, and the star power is undeniable. However, when Megan Thee Stallion and Dua Lipa promise the next big hit and fail to deliver, it will be hard for fans not to feel disappointed any time the song plays.

—Staff writer Brady M. Connolly can be reached at brady.connolly@thecrimson.com. Follow him on Twitter @bradyconnolly44.

MusicArts