By Nayeli Cardozo

So You Want to Listen to K-Pop

Diving a bit deeper, listeners will find a treasure trove of stylistically diverse songs, underscored by the rise of soloists and singer-songwriters.
By Larissa G. Barth

Hallyu, the “Korean Wave,” has brought South Korean music to listeners all over the world. Yet despite K-pop's well-demonstrated global success, many still think of it solely in terms of overproduced pop tracks and flashy music videos. Diving a bit deeper, listeners will find a treasure trove of stylistically diverse,and lyrically complex songs, underscored by the current rise of soloists and singer-songwriters. Each track is an artistic synthesis of music, choreography, concept and storyline, fashion, and videography, and the diversity of music genres encompassed by K-pop adds another exciting dimension to the mix.

Beyond Title Tracks

BTS - “Sea”
“Sea” tells the story of BTS’s rise to fame, going from an underdog group sleeping in one room and being cut from broadcasts to global superstars in just a few years. In stunningly intricate lyrics, the members are unsure whether this dream of theirs is the ocean or just a “blue desert,” and ultimately affirm both stating: “Where there is hope, there is always trial.”

IU - “Love Alone”
As Korea’s beloved soloist, IU has always been praised for her songwriting. Her poetic ballad, “Love Alone,” is one of the most heart-wrenching songs ever written on the nature of unrequited love. Accompanied solely by a plaintive acoustic guitar, her beautiful vocals range from a breathy, hesitant expression of loneliness to an ardent outcry in the chorus.

EXO-K - “Thunder”
While many EXO members are fulfilling their military service, their older B-side tracks continue to hold on to listeners in their absence. “Thunder” is one of EXO’s finest songs, a smooth and groovy R&B track that gives the group’s vocal powerhouses like D.O. room to shine.

Day6 - “I Need Somebody”
K-rock band Day6 vulnerably contemplates themes of loneliness and disconnection In “I Need Somebody.” Subdued, melancholy verses turn into a cathartic outcry with raspy vocals and screaming guitars as the chorus asks: “Why am I alone?” The song’s brilliance lies partly in this startling change, suggesting that candid acceptance and expression of one’s pain precedes healing.

Genre Blends

Dreamcatcher - “BEcause”
Combining metal and rock instrumentals with crystal clear voices, intricate choreographies, and a horror-concept, Dreamcatcher is one of K-pop’s most unique girl groups. In “BEcause,” they haunt a hotel while singing about a love that turns into occult-like obsession.

Oneus - “LIT”
Fusing traditional instruments with trap and EDM sounds, “LIT” bridges cultural and temporal gaps. With lyrical references to traditional South Korean stories and festivals, a music video featuring folk traditions, and a Taekwondo version performance, the song makes for a stunning display of South Korean culture by one of K-pop’s most underrated groups.

Stray Kids - “God’s Menu”
Rightfully claiming that Stray Kids is “one of a kind,” “God’s Menu” is an energetic hip hop track which proves that no other group can match the group’s intricate raps or powerful dances. In one of K-pop’s most perfectly unhinged and experimental music videos, Stray Kids — known for writing their own music — pose as chefs preparing their music.

Mamamoo - “HIP”
Since their debut, Mamamoo have ventured into many genres but are most known for their Jazz and R&B tracks. Showcasing their signature retro sound and impeccable vocals, “HIP” is an addictive dance-pop song with swing and hip-hop influences.

Soloists

Taemin - “Advice”
A member of the iconic second generation group Shinee, Taemin has been releasing artistic and unique solo tracks since his 2014 solo debut. In his solo performances, Taemin is known for his complex choreographies that push the boundaries of K-pop’s gender norms. “Advice” is a dramatic and moody R&B track that soars vocally and features classical piano, played by Taemin himself.

Eric Nam - “Wildfire”
Best known for his mellow guitar pop, Korean-American singer-songwriter Eric Nam has recently broadened his sound. “Wildfire” is a cinematic pop track about a love “lost [...] to the flames,” and powerfully utilizes drawn-out notes followed by full-stop silence that mirror the emotions of passionate love turning into nothing.

CHUNG HA - “Stay Tonight”
Listeners can always count on Chungha, originally a member of I.O.I, for top-tier music videos, stage outfits, and choreography. In the house and disco-pop track “Stay Tonight,” she elegantly incorporates voguing and waacking while featuring a BGLTQ dance group.

Rising Stars

Enhypen - “Given-Taken”
With cinematic production and complex storylines that often involve the paranormal, Enhypen has proven that they’re much more than BTS’s junior group. Their debut single “Given-Taken” features harp instrumentals and a vampire concept, giving the track’s theme of personal growth and transformation a twisted horror edge.

Purple Kiss - “Sweet Juice”
Since debuting in 2020, Purple Kiss has released hit after hit with their distinct blend of retro and fresh sounds. Combining orchestral instrumentation with sultry vocals, their latest single “Sweet Juice” is an addictively smooth pop track with a rich texture of sound effects.

Kang Daniel - “Paranoia”
Since the disbandment of the group Wanna One in 2018, Kang Daniel has become a successful soloist. His most popular song, “Paranoia,” explores battling one’s inner demons matched with a haunting, sinister sound that includes whistling and distorted background vocals.

— Staff writer Larissa G. Barth can be reached at larissa.barth@thecrimson.com.

MusicArts