In Photos: Students Occupy University Hall

By Julian J. Giordano and Claire Yuan
By Julian J. Giordano

Dozens of Harvard students occupied University Hall from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Wednesday in protest of the school’s sexual harassment policies and continued employment of John Comaroff.

By Julian J. Giordano

Students postered the John Harvard statue with papers calling for the resignation of John Comaroff and explaining the purposes and goals of their occupation.

Inside the North wing of University Hall, students gave speeches, chanted, and played music. Above, Austin Siebold ’23, a co-organizer of the event, gives handouts to attendees.

Signs taped to the walls of University Hall called for “Justice for Survivors” and Comaroff’s resignation. One sign directed at Dean of the College Rakesh Khurana read “Rakesh can’t fix this with a selfie!”

Students entered and exited the building for the first seven hours of protest until Harvard University Police Department officers blocked non-ID holders from entering.

William M. Sutton ’23, left, begins his “shift” in University Hall’s downstairs bathroom. Student protesters maintained a presence in the bathroom to prevent being locked out.

Two volunteer legal observers from the National Lawyers Guild attended the occupation to monitor police conduct.

Siebold speaks to Interim Dean of Students Lauren Brandt (left) and Dean of Administration and Finance Sheila Timba (right). Students also spoke to Dean of the College Rakesh Khurana for 50 minutes earlier in the day.

Students left University Hall at 9 p.m. after eight hours of occupation.

The protest concluded in front of the John Harvard statue with protesters chanting, among other phrases, “Hey hey! Ho ho! Comaroff has got to go!”

ProtestsPhoto EssayFront Photo FeatureFeatured Articles