Faculty of Arts and Sciences Lacks Confidence in Harvard’s Governing Boards, Per Survey

Jeremy Weinstein Will Serve as Next Harvard Kennedy School Dean, Garber Confirms

More Than 30 Students to Appear Before Harvard College Ad Board for Pro-Palestine Yard Encampment

As Students Occupy Harvard Yard, Faculty Urge Against Police Response

ACLU Calls on University Presidents to Protect Protests, Free Speech in Open Letter

Every Episode of ‘Avatar: The Legend of Korra,’ Ranked

Korra (voiced by Janet Varney) in 'The Legend of Korra.'
Korra (voiced by Janet Varney) in 'The Legend of Korra.' By Courtesy of Paramount+
By Millie Mae Healy, Crimson Staff Writer

This article contains major spoilers for all four seasons of “Legend of Korra.”

In response to no demand, and as a sequel to Every Episode of “Avatar: The Last Airbender,” Ranked, here is a definitive listing of all 52 episodes of “Avatar: The Legend of Korra” from worst to best. With the founding of Avatar Studios in 2021 and new upcoming Avatar content and with a movie focused on Aang, Katara, Sokka, Toph and Zuko rumored to be coming out next year, what better time than to reminisce and return to the 2012-2014 triumph?

52. Book 4, Episode 8: “Remembrances”

This recap episode from the final season is largely made up of clips reused from earlier episodes and chibi talking heads. In fairness, Nickelodeon’s last-minute budget cuts and schedule shake-ups are to blame for the team not having enough time or money to complete a new episode of animation. Shame, Nickelodeon.

51. Book 1, Episode 1: “Welcome to Republic City”

Pilots are notoriously tricky beasts, and though Korra’s naive misadventure that causes destruction of public property in the name of defending civilians from racketeering is cringe-inducing, the opening perfectly establishes the character we will be following for the rest of the series as four-year-old Korra yells, “I’m the Avatar, and you gotta deal with it!”

50. Book 1, Episode 7: “The Aftermath”

After a dangerous clash with Amon at the end of the pro-bending tournament, Korra’s jealousy of Asami’s relationship with her father, and justified suspicion that her father is involved with the equalists, go to war. It’s a perfectly fine episode, but its depiction of female jealousy is rather trite.

49. Book 2, Episode 2: “The Southern Lights”

Korra commits to her decision to be taught by her shifty uncle instead of Tenzin; though he fails to actually teach her anything, she remains pleased with her choice and successfully brings back the aurora borealis. How warranted.

48. Book 2, Episode 1: “Rebel Spirit”

After book one ends with Korra unlocking all four elements and her connection to her past lives, book two takes a calculated step back. The brash Korra hasn’t completely mastered her spiritual powers, and this episode admirably sets up this conflict that will drive the whole season.

47. Book 2, Episode 6: “The Sting”

Asami’s company, Future Industries, is being targeted by — unbeknownst to her — Varrick, and Asami and Mako unsuccessfully investigate while also reigniting their relationship (for about five seconds). It’s fine.

46. Book 2, Episode 5: “Peacekeepers”

This episode notably introduces President Raiko, the nonbender who was democratically elected in a change of government from the council representing the various bending disciplines. This is the series’ only concession to the genuine point Amon made about non-benders being secondary to benders, so take note.

45. Book 2, Episode 3: “Civil Wars: Part 1”

The civil war subplot between the Northern and Southern Water Tribes generally falls flat due to a lack of explanation about the South’s historically subordinate position to its “sister tribe.” However, this episode has a cool fight scene and a tense trial to add some flair.

44. Book 3, Episode 1: “A Breath of Fresh Air”

In a seamless return to Korra’s world of Avatar, this opening to book three starts to unpack the consequences of Korra’s choice to keep the spirit portals open and is a great season opener.

43. Book 3, Episode 3: “The Earth Queen”

This episode seems to have everything you could want from a return to Ba Sing Se — Korra and Asami fight bandits, Mako and Bolin improbably reunite with their long-lost Earth Kingdom relatives, rogue young airbender Kai commits petty theft — but a lack of exploration of life in the city leaves the setting feeling a little underutilized.

42. Book 3, Episode 4: “In Harm’s Way”

To no one’s surprise, the Earth Queen sucks. The heist to save her forced soldiers, however, is a nice rebellion against the man.

41. Book 1, Episode 8: “When Extremes Meet”

Korra, Mako, Bolin, and Asami never quite manage to become a united team in the way that Aang, Katara, Sokka, Toph and Zuko — perhaps and Suki — made up the Gaang, but this episode makes a genuine attempt, showing them coming together to try to oppose the discrimination against non-benders in Republic City.

40. Book 1, Episode 11: “Skeletons in the Closet”

Amon’s backstory, told through his brother Tarrlok, is chilling. However, psychic bloodbending as a proxy for energy bending is dumb, unfortunately.

39. Book 2, Episode 4: “Civil Wars: Part 2”

Korra, as always, chooses violence. It’s why she’s great.

38. Book 2, Episode 9: “The Guide”

Tenzin views his inability to meditate into the Spirit World as his greatest failure as Aang’s son. However, in this episode, he overcomes his pride and shame to support his daughter’s talent for the same.

37. Book 1, Episode 10: “Turning the Tides”

Lin sacrifices herself to save the future of the Air Nation, which unfortunately translates to sacrificing herself to save her ex’s new family. It’s a shocking moment and provides so much texture to these characters who have lived entire lives, with decades of backstory, before the series began.

36. Book 2, Episode 10: “A New Spiritual Age”

The Spirit World looks different from Aang’s bleak wasteland as Korra’s childhood self traverses the psychedelic fields, with a little help from Uncle Iroh’s spirit.

35. Book 3, Episode 6: “Old Wounds”

This episode provides backstory on Lin and her sister Suyin’s fraught relationship, as well as Toph’s career and parenting strategies. It offers cool insight into the evolution of Republic City, but the main plot inevitably stalls.

34. Book 4, Episode 3: “The Coronation”

Wu’s whiny nature makes him difficult to enjoy, but Kuvira’s transition into a full-fledged dictator at his would-be coronation is a memorable moment. This episode also features the return of fan-favorite Toph. What’s not to like?

33. Book 1, Episode 2: “A Leaf in the Wind”

For the first time, we not only see what it looks like for a character to learn airbending — Aang began his series already a master — but what it looks like for an angry, aggressive, and stubborn character to attempt to master the art of evasion and redirection. It’s a treat.

32. Book 4, Episode 9: “Beyond the Wilds”

After a sprawling third season that saw the cast moving all over the Earth Kingdom and across the Air Temples, and in past episodes visiting even the Southern Water Tribe and the Swamp, this return to Republic City falls a little flat. It’s fun to see Zuko’s daughter, Fire Lord Izumi, refuse to go to war, though.

31. Book 3, Episode 5: “The Metal Clan”

“The Metal Clan” imagines a city devoted to metalbending in the Earth Kingdom, and all the possibilities that might entail. Not to mention, Zaheer goes head to head with Kya, who shows that she inherited more than just her mother’s healing abilities.

30. Book 2, Episode 12: “Harmonic Convergence”

This episode is mostly a gag about how Bumi’s unbelievable stories from his United Forces days are all true. What a shame no one will believe him.

29. Book 4, Episode 1: “After All These Years”

Book four picks up after a three-year time skip and checks in with beloved characters all over the world to show what they’ve been up to. Only at the end of the episode does it become apparent that the titular character has been conspicuously absent.

28. Book 1, Episode 9: “Out of the Past”

This episode features welcome memories from the middle-aged Gaang. Aang, Toph and Sokka fighting crime are all a delight, though Katara is conspicuously absent from the trial of a man accused of the illicit bending art she personally made illegal, however, the episode is mostly a hit because of Korra: After being kidnapped, she keeps her head and escapes with style.

27. Book 3, Episode 2: “Rebirth”

Thanks to strange consequences of Korra keeping the spirit portal open, random people all over the world have woken up with airbending, and the Krew realize they need a new skill to successfully rebuild the Air Nation: marketing.

26. Book 2, Episode 11: “Night of a Thousand Stars”

Bolin spends most of book two as a movie star lusting after his co-star, unable to understand why she has no patience for him when the cameras aren’t rolling in an incel move that is beneath his otherwise loveable goofball character. However, the scene of him fighting insurgents in the pro-bending ring in front of his film playing behind him is a riot.

25. Book 4, Episode 5: “Enemy at the Gates”

Bolin struggles to choose between his girlfriend and his boss; said boss girlbosses into hardcore fascism. It’s great.

24. Book 2, Episode 13: “Darkness Falls”

Everyone fights everyone, with unlikely alliances forming left and right. It’s an action-packed episode, with an emotional moment of Tenzin accepting that he doesn’t have to pretend to be his father and saving his daughter to put it over the top.

23. Book 2, Episode 14: “Light in the Dark”

The shonen fight between a projection of Korra’s spirit and Unalaq’s evil Avatar is controversial, but also a beautiful representation of Korra’s spiritual growth and the power of light.

22. Book 3, Episode 7: “Original Airbenders”

A quieter episode in an action-packed season, “Original Airbenders” focuses on the practical difficulties of bringing back the Air Nation. Though the return of airbending might be a deus ex machina, it doesn’t solve everything: The Fire Nation’s genocide can never be undone and the culture can never be genuinely resurrected, though fighting to bring back mastery of the element remains worthwhile and deserves protecting.

21. Book 3, Episode 8: “The Terror Within”

The episode’s first half, with the entire might of Zaofu bearing down on the Red Lotus as they try to kidnap Korra in a heartstopping sequence, almost manages to outshine the obvious detective mystery that takes up the second half.

20. Book 3, Episode 9: “The Stakeout”

In addition to following a stakeout format and finally bringing Korra face to face with the season’s villain, this episode brings up a true problem: standardizing pai sho rules.

19. Book 4, Episode 4: “The Calling”

Tenzin’s kids are almost all grown up and have to solve their sibling fights while evading criminals, instead of waiting for Mom and Dad! Meanwhile, Toph teaches Korra an invaluable lesson: Solve your own problems.

18. Book 1, Episode 3: “The Revelation”

Amon, who draws attention to the inherent inequality between benders and non-benders while targeting the ability that Korra loves most and defines herself by, is a brilliantly constructed villain, this episode shows that off masterfully, with a side of fascinating world-building of the underside of Republic City and building romantic tension between Korra and Mako.

17. Book 4, Episode 11: “Kuvira’s Gambit”

She might be evil, but Kuvira is committed to her cause. Bataar Jr., her fiance, and Toph’s grandson, is only willing to switch sides when Kuvira proves she is willing to sacrifice him to succeed in taking over the Earth Kingdom.

16. Book 3, Episode 10: “Long Live the Queen”

Regicide, rioting, and Korra and Asami teaming up with their capturers to escape the Si Wong desert through the power of technology and bending — it’s an all-around great episode.

15. Book 1, Episode 4: “The Voice in the Night”

Korra, who spent her entire childhood sheltered and isolated, is afraid, and it takes her an entire episode to accept that that’s okay.

14. Book 4, Episode 7: “Reunion”

A long awaited reunion of three quarters of the Krew, “Reunion” shows off the growing pains from people who love each other but have spent a lot of time apart. It’s frank and lovely.

13. Book 4, Episode 10: “Operation Beifong”

Everyone’s favorite dysfunctional family is back as three generations of Beifongs fight to defend Suyin’s home. And in the theme of putting discontent aside, Korra puts her trust in her most feared enemy to try and heal.

12. Book 1, Episode 5: “The Spirit of Competition”

This book one episode explores pro-bending fighting and teen relationship drama: The two are not equally interesting, but it is a great episode, and all of the season’s character conflict comes to a head.

11. Book 4, Episode 6: “The Battle of Zaofu”

Once again, Korra loses a fight, but this one has massive ramifications: for Korra’s recovery and sense of self, but also for the world’s willingness to put their trust in her as their protector.

10. Book 4, Episode 12: “Day of the Colossus”

It’s time to fight Kuvira’s Giant Mech with the power of all four elements and almost every character in the show. It’s an epic culmination of a sprawling series.

9. Book 2, Episode 7: “Beginnings Part 1”

This two part episode explores the story of the first Avatar Wan, the reincarnation cycle, the origins of bending, and lion-turtles, and the entire world is stunning. With different, gorgeously stylized animation, Wan’s world of injustice and fearful spirits is consuming and brilliant.

8. Book 2, Episode 8: “Beginnings Part 2”

Even if this two episode departure to tell Wan’s story is a little out of place in the season, it absolutely deserves its place as Wan goes from hapless crook to generous and fearless protector. A loveable cast of well-meaning but violent humans trying to escape injustice and spirits being encroached upon and distorted by the influence of the evil Vaatu make the episodes function like a showstopping movie, and wonderfully expand the world and history of Avatar.

7. Book 3, Episode 11: “The Ultimatum”

Despite only recently becoming an airbender, Zaheer has been unmatched against every foe who has tried to stop him. But when he fights Tenzin, a real airbending master, he stomps him and proves he is nothing but a novice. At one point Tenzin takes on three-quarters of the Red Lotus to protect his family and the new Air Nation, and Korra decides that her life is less important than her duty to the new airbenders.

6. Book 1, Episode 6: “And the Winner Is…”

The long-awaited probending finale doesn’t disappoint, and the fight against Amon reaches a fever pitch. It’s also a massive moment for Korra as she moves seamlessly from teenage athlete to superhero as she jumps into action against the equalists: Korra is ready to be the Avatar.

5. Book 1, Episode 12: “Endgame”

The conclusion to book one, originally conceived as a standalone limited series, does everything with style and verve. Amon wins, but Team Avatar isn’t willing to give up! Asami faces her father! Korra loses her bending! She discovers airbending! She connects with her past selves! She and Mako admit they love each other! Korra has well and truly grown into her role as the Avatar, and it’s momentous.

4. Book 4, Episode 13: “The Last Stand”

Though book four is divisive, it delivers on its finale. Korra’s choice to spare Kuvira epitomizes how far she has come, along with showing off her sheer bending prowess. Korra has always been talented at fighting, but now she has also learned the humility and understanding that characterized Aang. Korra the Avatar is back, and its historic ending — with Korra and Asami walking off into the sunset together (in this case, a new spirit portal, representing the changing world and all of Korra’s achievements) — will never be anything less than beautiful.

3. Book 3, Episode 12: “Enter the Void”

In addition to Korra choosing the burgeoning Air Nation over her own life, Suyin and Lin tricking P’Li into blowing her head off (literally), Bolin learning lavabending, the destruction of an Air Temple, and Zaheer learning to fly, “Enter the Void” features one of the best fight scenes ever put to animation. Korra fights Zaheer with her hands and feet chained, and she has never been more resilient.

2. Book 4, Episode 2: “Korra Alone”

This episode is a magnum opus. Korra, a character defined by her strength and her ability to fight anything and everything head on, has to reckon with the fact that she can’t anymore as she struggles with the aftereffects of the Red Lotus’s poisoning three years later. Korra should be the strongest person in the world, but she can’t walk, and no one can help her. It’s beautiful, and devastating. As her letters to Asami are a lifeline, Korra never gives up trying, even as she starts to lose hope that she can ever truly be the Avatar — and herself — again. But “Avatar” has always been a universe about the power of hope, and friendships can “transcend lifetimes” in times of need.

1. Book 3, Episode 13: “Venom of the Red Lotus”

Korra is a legend — that is all. The Red Lotus are not defeated easily, but Korra’s airborne battle with Zaheer is nothing short of breathtaking. The Red Lotus dosed Korra with a lethal poison to induce the Avatar state so they could destroy Raava and end the cycle, but they did not account for its true power. Korra throws herself through the air, calling upon every element all by herself — cut off from her past lives — but Zaheer can’t defeat her, even with the ability to fly. But ultimately, it is the combined power of the returning Air Nation, whom Korra sacrificed herself to protect, that saves her and captures Zaheer. As the episode ends, Korra is not recovered, though everyone is hopeful, and Aang’s granddaughter Jinora becomes the first airbending master in a generation. It’s a beautiful ceremony, and Tenzin promises the Air Nation will commit itself to honoring Korra’s sacrifice and taking care of the world until Korra is ready again. And yet, Korra sheds a single dramatic tear as her worst fear is realized and the final note plays: the world doesn’t need her anymore.

“Legend of Korra” is a moving series, following Korra’s journey from a selfish and stubborn but talented fighter to an empathetic and resilient diplomat, featuring epic fight choreography, loveable side characters, and a groundbreaking ending.

—Staff writer Millie Mae Healy can be reached at milliemae.healy@thecrimson.com.

ArtsTV