Supreme Court Justice Sotomayor Talks Justice, Civic Engagement at Radcliffe Day

Church Says It Did Not Authorize ‘People’s Commencement’ Protest After Harvard Graduation Walkout

‘Welcome to the Battlefield’: Maria Ressa Talks Tech, Fascism in Harvard Commencement Address

Multimedia

In Photos: Harvard’s 373rd Commencement Exercises

Rabbi Zarchi Confronted Maria Ressa, Walked Off Stage Over Her Harvard Commencement Speech

Large Police Response at Harvard Graduate School of Education After 2 People Fall Off Balcony

Two people fell approximately 20 feet after a railing gave way at the Harvard Graduate School of Education's Class Day celebration.
Two people fell approximately 20 feet after a railing gave way at the Harvard Graduate School of Education's Class Day celebration. By Frank S. Zhou
By Azusa M. Lippit and Cam N. Srivastava, Crimson Staff Writers

Two people fell approximately 20 feet after leaning on a railing that gave way outside the Harvard Graduate School of Education’s Larsen Hall, according to Cambridge Police Department spokesperson Robert Goulston.

A crowd of more than 300 was gathered on Appian Way, in the center of the Ed School’s campus, for a block party that followed HGSE’s Class Day ceremonies in Radcliffe Yard. The incident prompted an ambulance, four Cambridge fire trucks, and several Harvard University Police Department and Cambridge Police Department cars to respond to the scene.

HUPD spokesperson Steven G. Catalano wrote in a statement that first responders were “dealing with a medical situation resulting from injuries.”

The extent of the injuries were not immediately clear, but Goulston wrote in an email that both individuals were conscious when they were taken from the scene.

Goulston wrote that CPD “helped with a medical assist report” but that HUPD was handling the situation, which took place on Harvard property.

Following the incident, Securitas and HGSE staff directed the crowds toward Gutman Hall, away from the DJ booth and food stations initially set up outside Larsen Hall.

Two people at the HGSE celebrations said they heard screams and a commotion, though there was no formal announcement about the incident and the festivities continued largely undisturbed after the crowd shifted away from Larsen Hall.

The railing that gave way was lying on the ground level of the building along with shards of glass from a broken window panel on the side of the building.

—Staff writer Asher J. Montgomery contributed reporting.

—Staff writer Azusa M. Lippit can be reached at azusa.lippit@thecrimson.com. Follow her on X @azusalippit or on Threads @azusalippit.

—Staff writer Cam N. Srivastava can be reached at cam.srivastava@thecrimson.com. Follow him on X @camsrivastava.

CommencementHUPDCambridge PoliceHGSECambridge Fire DepartmentMetroFront Photo FeatureFeatured ArticlesCommencement 2024