Homeless Woman Found Dead in Square

By Mariel A. Klein, Crimson Staff Writer

A 66-year-old homeless woman was found dead in Harvard Square early Tuesday morning, the Cambridge Police Department reported later in the day.

Cambridge Police located the woman at 6:15 a.m. on a bench outside 1426 Mass. Ave., near CVS, according to CPD spokesperson Jeremy Warnick. The department did not release the woman’s name.

Officials determined that the woman died suddenly and that there was no trauma to her body, according to Warnick. As of Tuesday evening, they had not determined a cause of death.

A member of the homeless community who knew the deceased said the woman, who usually keeps to herself, had been panhandling in Harvard Square for a couple of years. The source, who asked not to be named, added she must have been dead for a couple of hours since the body was stiff when CPD found it this morning.

—Staff writer Caroline T. Zhang contributed to the reporting of this article.

—Staff writer Mariel A. Klein can be reached at mariel.klein@thecrimson.com. Follow her on Twitter @mariel_klein.

Harvard SquareHomelessness