NBC Sports Network Expands Ivy Coverage

Fans storm the field to celebrate 2011's installment of The Game, just one of the many contests for which NBC Sports Network has newly negotiated broadcast rights.
By Saira Khanna, Crimson Staff Writer

If you’ve ever missed the chance to see your favorite Harvard squad play because you missed out on those few reserved tickets or weren’t able travel to away games, you now have the opportunity to catch the action by tuning in to NBC Sports Network. Following a renewed national television contract, fans will now have more opportunities to cheer on the Crimson from afar.

NBC Sports Network, formerly known as Versus, and the Ivy League have reached a new two-year agreement regarding the network’s national television rights to Ancient Eight contests. The new agreement will begin with the 2012 football season and end with the 2014 lacrosse season, and for the first time NBC Sports Network will have the rights to men’s basketball and men’s lacrosse broadcasts.

The number of football games televised, as well as the addition of basketball and lacrosse, mark changes in the agreement between NBC Sports Network and the Ivy League. Between six and 10 football and men’s basketball games will be televised along with up to four additional men’s lacrosse games.

There was no specification on whether or not the televised contests will be limited to exclusively Ancient Eight opponents. But one of the agreement’s stipulations is the network’s rights to televise The Game in both 2012 and 2013, while coverage of other Ivy League rivalries has not been mentioned.

Though only three of Harvard’s 41 varsity sports will claim the additional national attention, the Crimson faithful will likely see the new agreement as a step in the right direction.

Men's BasketballFootballMen's LacrosseDepartment of Athletics