15 Faculty Named to Harvard Business School Dean Search Advisory Committee

Harvard Business School Dean, Nitin Nohria, is pictured in his office in the spring of 2019.
Harvard Business School Dean, Nitin Nohria, is pictured in his office in the spring of 2019. By Sharleen Y. Loh
By Ellen M. Burstein, Crimson Staff Writer

University President Lawrence S. Bacow and University Provost Alan M. Garber ’76 announced Tuesday that 15 professors will serve on an advisory committee to help select the next dean of Harvard Business School.

Current Business School Dean Nitin Nohria announced earlier this month that he would step down at the end of the academic year after a decade as dean. He is set to officially leave office on June 30.

Bacow and Garber announced the creation of the advisory committee in an email to University affiliates Tuesday afternoon. The group includes faculty from the Business School’s 10 academic units that comprise its primary fields of study. Dean of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences Claudine Gay will also serve on the committee.

Nohria has been praised by colleagues for his leadership, his focus on diversity at the Business School, and his close relationships with faculty and students.

In the email, Bacow and Garber wrote that Nohria had completed a “decade of extraordinary leadership.”

Bacow and Garber also wrote that they encourage, students, alumni, faculty and staff to provide feedback during the search process.

“We particularly welcome your observations on the principal opportunities and challenges facing HBS in the years to come, on the qualities and experience most important to seek in the next dean, and on any individuals you regard as worthy of serious consideration,” they wrote.

The members of the search committee are Business School professor Dennis W. Campbell, Business School professor Rohit Deshpandé, Business School professor Robin J. Ely, Dean of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences Claudine Gay, Business School professor Francesca Gino, Business School Senior Associate Dean for Culture and Community Janice Hammond, Business School Professor Rebecca Henderson, Kennedy School and Business School professor Herman “Dutch” B. Leonard, Business School professor Josh Lerner, Business School professor Tsedal B. Neeley, School of Engineering and Applied Sciences Professor Hanspeter Pfister, Business School and Sociology professor Mario Small, Business School Senior Associate Dean for Executive Education Luis Viceira; Business School professor Matt Weinzierl, and Business School professor David Yoffie.

Members of the search committee did not respond to requests for comment Tuesday afternoon.

— Staff writer Ellen M. Burstein can be reached at ellen.burstein@thecrimson.com. Follow her on Twitter @ellenburstein.

Harvard Business SchoolUniversityUniversity News