Alternative Yardfest Concert Draws Small but Supportive Crowd

By Caroline T. Zhang, Contributing Writer

A small but supportive crowd came out to see local hip hop and soul artist Shea Rose perform at a concert in the Eliot House courtyard Saturday night that began at the same time rapper Tyga took the stage at Yardfest in Tercentenary Theater.

The Eliot House concert was intended to provide an alternative for students who did not want to see Tyga, whose selection as headliner for the annual spring concert generated outcry among students who complained that the rapper’s song lyrics are sexist.

At one point during her approximately 90-minute performance, Rose dedicated a song—entitled “‘S’ on My Chest” in a reference to the Superman symbol—to “all the ladies in the audience.” Other songs included “Rock ’n Rose,” “Get Up,” and “Free Love.”

The alternative concert began at 6 p.m., and most concertgoers started to arrive around 6:30 p.m. Police officers checked IDs at the entrance to the Eliot courtyard, and a DJ played music until Rose’s concert began at around 7:15 p.m. Fewer than 50 people were in attendence for the start of her performance, though more arrived throught the evening, especially after Yardfest ended. Attendees estimated that the event ultimately drew fewer than 150 people.

Some students were disappointed by the sparse attendance at the concert, though most said they were impressed by Rose’s performance.

Diane X. Yang ’16 said she expected more people to demonstrate their opposition to Tyga by attending the concert in Eliot House.

“I’m kind of disappointed that all the people who signed the petition were only paying lip service,” Yang said.

Yang decided not to watch Tyga perform, but said it was because she does not like his music, not because she was protesting his performance.

Most attendees said that they went to the event for the music, rather than as an active protest against Tyga’s music.

“It’s really exciting to see a young, up-and-coming hip-hop artist,” said attendee Alexander A. Morelli ’13. “Tyga I could listen to any day in my room.”

Eliot House Master Douglas A. Melton said that students generally seemed supportive of the event.

“Many students said that they are grateful for the alternate concert,” he said.

The alternative concert was funded by the Office of the Dean of the College.

—Laya Anasu contributed to the reporting of this story.

This article has been revised to reflect the following correction:

CORRECTION: April 17, 2013

An earlier version of this article incorrectly stated that the alternative Yardfest concert in Eliot courtyard was funded by the House Masters, the Eliot House budget, and the Office of Student Life. In fact, the Eliot concert was funded by the Office of the Dean of the College.

Student LifeEliotYardfestCollege News