College Women’s Center Names New Director

Naisha Bradley will be the new director of the Harvard College's Women Center.
By Kristina D. Lorch, Crimson Staff Writer

UPDATED: January 28, 2015, at 2:59 p.m.

Naisha Bradley, who for nine years served as program manager of the Kennedy School of Government’s Women and Public Policy Program, has been named the new director of the Harvard College Women’s Center.

Bradley officially assumed her post on January 26.

According to an announcement email sent to College affiliates on Monday from Emelyn A. dela Peña, the College's assistant dean of student life for equity, diversity, and inclusion, Bradley will be responsible for developing and implementing the “strategic direction of the Center,” providing “operational oversight,” and running programs and events that address subjects related to women, gender, and sexuality.

Naisha Bradley will be the new director of the Harvard College's Women Center. By Courtesy of Naisha Bradley

Bradley said that the Women’s Center is a “natural fit” for her, citing her expertise in program development and design and implementation of policy.

“I have always thought of [the Women’s Center] as an incredible resource for students,” said Bradley, adding that her life goal has been “creating a powerful community of women.”

While Bradley has not officially named any new initiatives or programs, she hopes to begin her new position by reaching out to a diverse group of students for ideas about the direction of the Women’s Center.

“First we want to talk with students already involved [at the Women’s Center], but we need to also reach out to students in different Houses,” Bradley said of her outreach goals, adding that she is excited to be “working closely with students.”

The Harvard College Women’s Center opened in 2006 and currently sponsors dozens of events related to gender, sexuality, and diversity each semester, according to its website.

The center also serves as a meeting space for student organizations and events during the year and is located in the basement of Canaday Hall, one of freshman dormitories in Harvard Yard. There are currently almost 30 undergraduate, women-centered student organizations supported by the Women’s Center, in addition to mentor programs.

Outside of her work at Harvard, Bradley has served at the Yawkey Boys and Girls Club of Roxbury. She received her bachelor’s degree at Clark Atlanta University and master’s degree in Gender and Cultural Studies at Simmons College.

—Staff writer Kristina D. Lorch can be reached at klorch@college.harvard.edu.

This article has been revised to reflect the following correction:

CORRECTION: January 28, 2015

An earlier version of this article incorrectly stated that Naisha Bradley is the former program director of the Women and Public Policy Program at the Kennedy School of Government. In fact, she was the program manager.

CollegeStudent GroupsCollege AdministrationGender and SexualityCollege News