Arab American Leader Advocates for Better Understanding of Arab Culture

By William L. Wang, Contributing Writer

Arab American Institute President James J. Zogby discussed the negative portrayal of Arab Americans in popular culture and stressed the need for a better understanding of Arab culture at an Institute of Politics forum Tuesday night.

Zogby noted the discussion, entitled “The Continuing Challenges Faced by Arab Americans" and moderated by religion professor Diana L. Eck, focused on Arab Americans rather than Muslim Americans. Zogby said the majority of Arab Americans were in fact Christian, not Muslim.

“Arab American is an invention of an ethnic community that comes from diverse country, religious, and generational backgrounds,” Zogby said. “It’s also voluntary association—if you want to be part of the community, then you are. If you don’t want to be, then you aren’t.”

Zogby discussed how he failed to find positive media portrayals of Arab Americans while researching for his 2010 non-fiction work, “Arab Voices: What They Are Saying to Us, and Why it Matters.”

“There was a stubborn ignorance of Arab culture and the Arab world in America,” he said, noting that terrorists or oil magnates wearing long robes are typical stereotypes of Arabs.

Zogby said self-identification became a struggle for many Arab Americans because of this negative portrayal of Arabs in American media. Zogby shared an anecdote about his children, who refused to wear clothing associated with Arabs during multi-cultural school events at a younger age.

“The issue is that we don’t see Arab people are real people with joy in their life,” Zogby said. “When we don’t see them as real people, we cannot possibly treat them like people.”

In response, Zogby advocated for better education and understanding of Arab culture led by Arab Americans.

“The only way that Americans would know us is if we go to them,” Zogby said. “The most learning will be accomplished through meeting one another.”

Audience member Farid Nemri said he was inspired by Zogby’s suggestion.

“As an Arab American living in the U.S., it is primarily our responsibility to engage in American culture and society to showcase my culture and provide better understanding through my actions,” he said.

ReligionIOPHarvard Kennedy SchoolEventsReligious GroupsUniversityUniversity News