Möge Tee Joins the Par-tea as Fourth Boba Shop in Harvard Square

Möge Tee, which officially opened on Sunday, is the fourth bubble tea shop in Harvard Square.
Möge Tee, which officially opened on Sunday, is the fourth bubble tea shop in Harvard Square. By Claire Yuan
By Sidney K. Lee, Crimson Staff Writer

Boba shop Möge Tee held its grand opening in Harvard Square with a traditional lion dance performance and free drinks for its first 50 customers on Sunday.

Located on 54 JFK St., Möge Tee is the fourth boba shop in the Square, alongside Kung Fu Tea, Gong Cha, and Tiger Sugar. On opening day, customers lined up in the crowded shop while loud drums accompanied a colorful lion dance outside.

Möge Tee’s menu boasts a selection of classic milk and matcha teas, cheese foam teas, and signature fruit teas. The chain operates more than 380 locations worldwide, with more than 60 locations in the U.S., including a shop in Central Square.

So Lim Ting, co-owner of the Harvard Square and Central Square locations, said he decided to open the Square location due to the “success from the Central Square location with MIT students.”

Möge Tee currently occupies the former location of Boston Tea Stop, which closed down in December 2021.

In comparison with other boba shops in the Square, Ting said Möge Tee is particularly famous for their fruit teas.

“We want to display the freshness of Möge Tee,” Ting said. “Möge Tee is very known for its fresh fruits, fresh ingredients that we use and display in the fridge.”

Despite the large demand for bubble tea in Cambridge, students shared mixed opinions about a fourth boba shop coming into town.

“I think that it’s really amazing that we have all these different choices now,” Jang G. Choe ’26 said. “At the same time, I can’t help but wonder if they’re all just going to cannibalize each other.”

“I think it might really come down to location and cost,” Choe added.

Carolyn “Carly” Y. Chen ’26 said the store has a “nice atmosphere,” but she said she wishes there were more seating.

“They also have a larger variety,” Chen said. “In whole, I really liked their menu. I want to try it out.”

Though Ting is considering more locations in the future, he said he is planning to initially focus on the current location.

“There may be more coming, but our first goal is we want to be the best Harvard boba ever,” he said.

—Staff writer Sidney K. Lee can be reached at sidney.lee@thecrimson.com. Follow her on Twitter @sidneyklee.

Food and DrinkHarvard SquareSquare BusinessMetroFront Photo FeatureFeatured Articles