Snowfall Does Not Chill Housing Day Spirit

Class of 2017 Receives Housing Assignments in Annual Rite

Housing Day 2014
Adams House Master Sean Palfrey '67 celebrates Housing Day. Upperclassmen stormed Harvard Yard on Thursday morning to start off Housing Day festivities. The Class of 2017 received their housing assignments from their future housemates and visited their Houses during the evening to participate in festivities organized by the Houses.

Persistent snowfall and gusts of wind did not prevent upperclassmen from flocking to the Yard in full force to participate in Harvard’s annual Housing Day festivities Thursday morning.

Donning creative gear—including boxer shorts, bathing suits, and mascot costumes—students from River and Quad Houses alike battled the cold to storm the freshman dorms, deliver House assignments, and incite House spirit.

Cabot House Committee Co-Chair Caroline R. Breinin ’15 said that, despite the Quad’s distance from the Yard, students from Cabot were not deterred by inclement weather.

“We were actually one of the first Houses there at 7:15 in the morning,” she said.

Alice F. Berenson ’16, who helped deliver letters for Mather, agreed that the weather did not stop people from celebrating Housing Day.

“I think that midterms did that more than the snow,” she said.

Although the snowstorm proved little obstacle for the morning’s letter deliveries, it did impact some of the afternoon’s festivities. While in past years House members have set up tables and banners on the lawn outside Memorial Hall, which sometimes included carnival games and petting zoos, students moved this year’s excitement indoors.

Over breakfast, freshmen expressed enthusiasm as the anxiety of the morning’s uncertainty transformed into burgeoning House pride.

Housing Day 2014
Upperclassmen storm Harvard Yard on Thursday morning to start off Housing Day festivities. The Class of 2017 received their housing assignments from their future housemates and visited their Houses during the evening to participate in festivities organized by the Houses.

Jacques van Ryhn ’17 and his seven blockmates were among the first freshmen to arrive in Annenberg after receiving their letter, which assigned them to Eliot House.

Van Ryhn described the morning as “nerve-wracking” and said that he and his blocking group had no idea what to expect, although they are pleased with their housing assignment.

“My roommate is also getting Eliot, and one of my really good friends also got in, so I’m super excited,” he said.

Sarah Tsou ’17 also said she was anxious while waiting for her housing letter.

“We were all in the room by 7:15 just waiting and watching the people start to stream into the Yard,” she said. “We were all so antsy. I couldn’t sit still—I was pacing across the room.”